In BC, gambling is regulated by federal and provincial laws. This ensures players are protected when gambling at any regulated venue in BC. These protections, including restricting gambling to adults over the age of 19, are upheld by the BC Lottery Corporation and the Gaming Policy and Enforcement Branch.
The province is responsible for implementing a comprehensive and responsible gaming regulatory framework and programs on behalf of BC residents.
- Ensuring that British Columbia has a strong regulatory and legal environment that protects customers;
- Ensuring the integrity of gaming in BC through rigorous registration, certification, audit and investigation programs;
- Providing educational and support services at no cost to British Columbians so that they may be more informed about the risks associated with gambling and seek assistance or treatment if struggling with problem gambling;
- Developing and implementing a risk management strategy for the province’s gaming industry; and
- Overseeing the regulation and operation of horse racing including developing and implementing a revitalization strategy for the industry;
- Providing grants to support community programs and services across the province.